I have been absolutely *itching* to try dyeing my own wool, not that I am any good at it, but because it's fun! So I decided that since I was having a PJ-day anyway, I'd get stuck in and take photos as I went.
It didn't quite turn out as I expected, but, that is not to say I won't find something to knit it into - and I also learned a couple of very valuable lessons. Firstly, wear gloves! Secondly, make sure all the containers / vessels that you are putting the wool into for soaking in the dye are free of holes, lest you have a big ole leak all over the kitchen bench.
Initially I thought that I could maybe possibly try gradient dyeing. Then I thought, maybe that's a bit ambitious, perhaps self striping is the way to go. Finally I settled on simply having a go and seeing what I came up with - and here is my 'learning story' ;)
The wool split into five 'mini' hanks and soaking in a vinegar / water solution.
Some of my supplies.
The containers lined up ready for the wool to go in, and I used disposable cups to pre-mix the dye in.
I poured a cupful of dye over each lot of wool, and then added extra water until each mini-hank was mostly submerged.
As I mentioned earlier, don't forget to wear gloves!
Bagged up and ready to go in the microwave for heat-setting.
Cooling off and then drying.
Eeeeek! But, nothing a pot scrubber, some baking soda and a bit of elbow grease couldn't fix...
Drying outside on the clothes horse.
Getting ready to wind! I had to snip the ties on each mini hank without accidentally cutting the wool itself, and then try not to get it tangled - got there in the end with DH's help.
The End Result (so far, of course not knitted up yet)
The light may be better tomorrow, so I'll take a couple more photos and see if that helps the colour any - but as I said I *will* find something to knit with this - suggestions are more than welcome!
I think at least for a little while, I will be leaving it to the professionals, although I definitely learned a lot from today's little project.
~ Jax ~ xoxo